Remember when The Hunger Games was huge?? I think this series really got the dystopian trope going for this generation. And even though a lot of other dystopian books/movies have come out since then, I still love THG quite a bit!
I’ll be the first to admit that I didn’t jump into the Hunger Games fandom until after they announced the movie. Actually, I didn’t even end up reading the books until just a few months before the movie came out. I had told my sister that they looked dumb. And I ended up eating my words…
After I read the books and watched all of the movies, I realized I wanted to know more about this world! It was super freaky for sure, but very intriguing as well. I know a lot of people like to read fan-fic, but I’ve found something I like even better! It’s fan-made films on YouTube. Now just like fan-fic, some fan-films are good and some are junk. You sort of have to weed through it to find the good ones. So let me help you out some! I’ve made a list of some of my absolute favorites.
Just a warning- since THG deals with violent topics, most of these fan-films are violent/graphic. That’s the nature of the topic. If that’s a trigger for you, or if you would rather avoid the violence, you will probably want to avoid these! Although the last film on the list doesn’t contain any violence.
- Cirrus Quell- A Hunger Games Story: This is a fan-film in 6 parts so make sure you watch them all! The story is really intriguing, and it shows the origins of the Quarter Quell. Be aware that this story is rather graphic with the killing scenes.
- Hunger Games- Weeping Willow: This fan film tells the story of a brother and sister pair from District 7. This story does have some killing scenes, but about at the same level as the actual Hunger Games movie. The cinematography in this film is gorgeous though! And you might want some tissues…
- Finnick Odair- A Hunger Games Story: Made by the same people who did Cirrus Quell, this fan-film is definitely one to watch. It is slightly different than book canon so those of you who are purists may be a little disappointed, but the film itself is still great. The special effects and cinematography are beautiful as well! The story isn’t as developed at Weeping Willow or Cirrus Quell, but if you’re looking for some good action then this is a film for you!
- Hunger Games: The Second Quarter Quell: This fan film tells the story of Haymitch’s win in the 50th Hunger Games. It is rather graphic, so be warned! But in my opinion, this is one of the best fan films portraying the games that’s out there. I love that we get to see a younger Haymitch, and the story is very accurate to the books.
- Hunger Games: The Hanging Tree: For those of you not into the fighting/action, this fan film is probably my favorite. It’s beautifully done- the acting, music, everything. It shows the beautiful relationship Katniss and her father had, as well as gives some political insights to the world of the Hunger Games. Grab some tissues for this one too…
There’s actually a surprising amount of THG fan-films out there! Just do a simple YouTube search to see. Have any others you’d add to this list? I’d love to hear about it in the comments!
Check out my top Harry Potter fan films here.